Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Trödelmärkte

(Meaning: Flea Market....aka: New Favorite Thing!)

Well I am now officially obsessed with Flea Markets. The Miranda's told us about one that was happening on Easter nearby and how we had to go. My mom, Eric, and I had such a fun time bargaining for prices and finding little treasures. We then ended up going to another one this morning in Grafenwoehr. Eric met us on his lunch break and picked out a few things he loved. I found a calendar in a store here that gave the schedule for all the upcoming markets and I plan on attending as many as possible. I felt so European filling my big wicker basket full of goodies.

Here is what we have picked up so far:

A very old, and very cool, binocular set with a leather carrying case.


A risque painting of some Latin woman for 15 Euro. Eric and I both literally sprinted to the booth that had this thing for sale. They guy seemed pretty confused that THAT was the painting we wanted: "Did you even see it?!" I want to reframe it in something a little fancier. And I can not WAIT to display it somewhere in this house.


A little wooden silhouette of a German couple. I don't know what this kind of craft work is called, but I thought it was adorable, and it was only 4 Euro.


A lovely wooden table that we both fell in love with. It was about 40 Euro but I just thought it was totally beautiful and something we'll definitely have for a long time. It's probably the most formal-looking thing in our home now, haha.


Three sets of antlers for 20 Euro. Eric has had his heart set on buying antlers for our house ever since we were surrounded by Southern decor in Clarksville, TN. We of course can't afford anything too huge or ornate (I think Eric dreams of one day owning a mountain goat head) but for now these will do. I was thinking they might be cool painted a super glossy white. My mom, however, thought they were totally hideous. Again, I have yet to find a place to display them.

Another painting, quite small, of a very romantic little scene. I want to reframe this too and thought it would be pretty up in our room with all that green.
My mom has found so many beautiful things too: lace tablecloths, glass pillboxes, a small painting, a Wedgewood cup. (And gifts for certain family members that I can't describe on here.) I really don't know how she's getting all the souvenirs home...but it will be fun to bring back all that loot!

Well, that's all for now. Again, I have SO many photos of my mom's visit to post, but I am waiting until she returns home so she can show off her pictures first. So you'll have to wait and see!

3 comments:

  1. The little table you bought seems like something that Granma will lust after.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's just what my mom said! But it's allll mine!!! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trust me. The table is darling. The antlers on the other hand........

    ReplyDelete